This easy-to-make angel hair pasta with mussels dish is a delicious way to cook with wine and enjoy fresh seafood. The flavors from the sweet red peppers help balance the naturally salty mussels, dryness from the white wine and slight acidity from the tomatoes.
What You’ll Need:
- 8 oz. uncooked angel hair pasta
- 36 mussels (about 3 pounds), scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups diced red bell pepper (about 2 medium-sized peppers)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1/2 cup 2012 Fair Play Sauvignon Blanc
How to Make It:
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add bell pepper, salt and ground red pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add mussels and increase heat to medium.
- Cover and simmer for 7 minutes or until shells open. Discard any unopened shells.
- Serve mussel mixture over pasta and sprinkle with parsley.